Georeferencing with tools verse control points

06-21-2018 07:24 AM
WayneMillen
New Contributor II

Can you use the tools to get a raster closely aligned to a target raster then do a transformation, e.g., 1st order polynomial?  I know you can't go the other way once you create a least one control link. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

I don't quite understand the question. You can use the georeferencing tools in Pro or ArcMap (Georeferencing tools—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop ) to georeference imagery to another source. The auto-georeferencing tool is also very good to automate collection of control points against and existing image or image basemap. The tools enable you to collect and edit other control points and see the residual errors. You can set the order of the transform to be applied and then save the transform parameters with the image so that they are automatically applied when the image is added. The transforms can also be stacked.

WayneMillen
New Contributor II

Peter-- What I meant was can one use the rotate, scale and shift tools then fine tune with a transformation using control links?

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes. You can rotate, scale and shift then add additional control points. The number of control points required will depend on the order of the transform you want to apply.

0 Kudos