ArcGIS Online display of wind barbs?

Jump to solution
06-19-2018 01:11 PM
DavidAskov1
Occasional Contributor

I have been using the "Vector Field" option for displaying wind barbs from raster data representing the U,V components of wind speed. I'm pretty happy with that in Pro or ArcMap, since it works with the data I have, so I don't have to convert it to vector data. Here is the methodology I'm using. 

Drawing raster data using vector symbols—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck doing something like this in ArcGIS Online? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello David,

I'd recommend considering use of a rotation-by-value functionality with an arrow symbol.

This blog breaks down this ArcGIS Online capability rather nicely and provides sample data:

Rotating point symbols in web maps 

Hopefully that gets you what you're looking for!

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello David,

I'd recommend considering use of a rotation-by-value functionality with an arrow symbol.

This blog breaks down this ArcGIS Online capability rather nicely and provides sample data:

Rotating point symbols in web maps 

Hopefully that gets you what you're looking for!

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
DavidAskov1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rachel, Thanks for the link. My question was asking if the symbology options for raster data wind barbs in ArcMap/Pro also exist in AGOL. They are really handy since my data are already in raster format and they also resample the data nicely at multiple scales. I suspect that I will end up creating point layers at a few scales and displaying them using this methodology in order to publish to AGOL. 

0 Kudos
JosephRhodes2
Occasional Contributor II

This is an old thread, but in case anyone comes across it, you can visualize vector field rasters this way in the new Map Viewer and 4.x-based apps, along with Beaufort scale arrows and the flow renderer.

0 Kudos