Why is my WMS Service 3' feet off when brought into AutoCAD?

06-18-2018 01:36 PM
Corbinde_Bruin
Occasional Contributor II

I'm seeing a 3' vertical shift when I bring an ArcMap published WMS Service into AutoCAD. Everything appears in the right place across all ArcGIS platforms. I know I've run into this issue before and solved it, but I can't find that solution again.

The service contains only a mosaic dataset of two ortho tiles downloaded from the NYS GIS Clearinghouse website. https://gis.ny.gov/gateway/mg/nysdop_download.cfm. It is published through our local ArcGIS Server and shared publicly.

The ortho tiles are originally in my local State Plane coordinate system. I have tried many iterations of adding rasters to the mosaic to try and have it show up in the right place.

The different options I've tried setting to Web Mercator include:

• The Ortho Mosaic geodatabase item
  • The setting when adding Rasters to the mosaic (both with "Forced this Coordinate System for Input Data" check and not checked)
  • The data frame in the publishing MXD
  • The world files for each tile

I know this can be done correctly because the State's WMS service has the photos showing up in CAD in the right place. I am only using the State tiles as test data. Eventually I want to run the same process on private data.

I've called both ESRI and AutoDesk. AutoDesk tells me it's a problem with the published WMS and to talk to ESRI. ESRI tells me it works fine in their products so call AutoDesk.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Corbin,

Did you ever get this solved?

Is it possible that it's a simple meters to feet issue since you said it's about 3 feet off?

0 Kudos
Corbinde_Bruin

No, I have not solved this, it is still plaguing my desired workflow, and it does not appear to be a meters/feet issue.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

So looking at this closer, do other Esri basemaps line up ok in your AutoCAD project? Could it be possible that you need to apply a datum transformation in ArcMap to make the adjustment happen properly?

tagging:

Coordinate Reference Systems

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

It's almost certainly a GCS (datum) issue. 3 ft / 1 m offset is classic for a NAD83 (some realization) vs WGS84 difference. It's very difficult to figure out what's going on because it depends on the basemap(s) and your data's history, what GCS, which if any transformation was used to convert from NAD83 (realization) into WGS84.

Corbinde_Bruin

Below is all the information from the source tab properties of my ArcMap layer. I want to reiterate that this data and service shows up in the right place across all ArcGIS platforms including AGOL web maps. It's only shifted by 3' north/south in AutoCAD. Other WMS services, like the state's orthophoto service, do show up in the right place in our AutoCAD project.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes to coordinate systems or transformations, so if that's still recommended, I could use a lot of help with that.

Data Type: File Geodatabase Raster Catalog
Raster Catalog Name: LIRR_ThirdTrackOrtho_2018_1cm_RasterCatalog_Test1
Geometry Type: Polygon
Coordinates have Z values: No
Coordinates have measures: No

Projected Coordinate System: NAD_1983_2011_StatePlane_New_York_Long_Isl_FIPS_3104_Ft_US
Projection: Lambert_Conformal_Conic
False_Easting: 984250.00000000
False_Northing: 0.00000000
Central_Meridian: -74.00000000
Standard_Parallel_1: 40.66666667
Standard_Parallel_2: 41.03333333
Latitude_Of_Origin: 40.16666667
Linear Unit:  Foot_US

Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_NAD_1983_2011
Datum:  D_NAD_1983_2011
Prime Meridian:  Greenwich
Angular Unit:  Degree