AnsweredAssumed Answered

Slowly loading labels

Question asked by jkmaliszewski on Jun 19, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 20, 2018 by jkmaliszewski

I am trying to speed up the process of loading labels in ArcMap. There are few layers containing labels that have a conditional form (not only in content but also text formatting). According to Esri guide:

Label expressions slow drawing performance. In particular, avoid using label expression scripts to conditionally parse or format label strings or to concatenate the information in multiple fields into one label string when drawn. Instead, calculate a new field with exactly the information that is needed. The field can include formatting tags.

So instead of using label expressions I stored strings in Attribute Table. I expected a lot faster loading, but labels are loading even a bit slower than before! What am I doing wrong? Here is an example of label string:

<LIN leading = '-5'><FNT size='8' name='Arial narrow CE'><ITA>  So120-1.0</ITA></FNT> <FNT size='8' name='Arial narrow CE'><ITA>a </ITA></FNT><SUP><FNT size='8' name='Arial'>_____________</FNT></SUP></LIN> <LIN leading = '-5'><FNT size='8' name='Arial narrow CE'><ITA>1.63</ITA></FNT></LIN>

Outcomes