Why is XTools Create Random Sampling Points Not Creating the Number of Points I ask.

06-16-2018 01:07 PM
CaseyCowan
New Contributor

I have a polygon that I need four random points generated in. I also need each point to be at least 100 meters from each other. Every time I run the tool I feel like I get a different number of points generated; sometimes it's one, sometimes it's four. Also they aren't always inside the referenced polygon. I have tried not including the minimum distance from each other and still, it's not giving me four points consistently and definitely not consistently inside the referenced polygon. Can someone please advise?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Could you show the polygon and its area, and the extent of the polygon if the above extent isn't the extent of the polygon?

All algorithms that try to implement a minimum spacing of points within a polygon, do so randomly and... the only allow for so many random tries before saying that you will get what I can produce within the constraints... meaning, make the spacing smaller that is allow, or make the polygon bigger

0 Kudos
CaseyCowan
New Contributor

The polygon is 152 acres. The extent is actually not exactly the same but I have ran the tool choosing the polygon layer and had the same results. I have also made the spacing 0 and still only had it create 1 point...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Use Copy Features tool and copy the shapefile to a geodatabase so I can see the native area units.

Project the shapefile first to a projected coordinate system if it isn't already projected (I think it is)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

PS... recent thread this week on this topic

https://community.esri.com/message/778789-re-create-random-points?commentID=778789#comment-778789 

is it minimum spaced points month????

0 Kudos