What is your "Dream Machine" for running Pro if all you could get was a Dell?

06-18-2018 07:57 AM
3 Replies
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Both of those SSDs you listed are "PCIe NVMe Class 50" so they're going to be about the same (top of the line for Dell). Not sure what we're supposed to be comparing here.

For CPU, you should still consider clock speed as an important factor. The multithreaded  nature of ArcGIS Pro makes multiple cores relevant, but it's only part of the story.

If you're not doing 3D stuff, you're probably wasting your money on dual graphics cards. You can always add a second one later!

Finally, 3TB seems absurd for memory. I didn't even know you could get a computer with that much memory! An your storage drive is "only" 1TB...

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Storage is not an issue for me. I have a local 40TB SAN with a quad NIC and iSCSI. We have a policy of not storing project work on local computers. Once the work is done, it has to be moved to the SAN by the end of the day. Not sure what the difference is in the drives either, but the second costs twice as much as the first. From what little I can understand from Dell website, the SSD "Card" is significantly faster then the first choice, was wondering if any GIS'ers had experience with that particular Dell drive. 

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

It does say "Duo" so maybe it's RAID?

0 Kudos