Sharing Private Deployed Web App with Other Organizations

Jump to solution
06-13-2018 08:54 AM
AndrewSchwartz
New Contributor II

I have created a WebApp in AGOL and have shared it with a Group that includes our client's ArcGIS Online Account. However, when I sent them the link to the map, they entered their login credentials and refused access because they are not a member of our organization.

Some articles said that to share a private app with members of different orgs you need to deploy it (and it will likely need custom widgets in the future), so I did the following:

1) Loaded the app into my Web App Builder 2.8. It launches successfully from within WAB.

2) Deployed the app to http://www.summitgis.epd-pgh.com/ 

3) Added the deployed app to our ArcGIS Online Account

At this point if you go to the URL, you get this prompt:

Login

I logged in successfully, which is surprising - I thought I would need to register the app first!

4) Registered the app (redirect URIs: http://www.summitgis.epd-pgh.com/, https://www.summitgis.epd-pgh.com/)

5) Added the AppId to the config.json and replaced it in the server-side version.

Now - when I go to the link it won't load! I just get the blue screen and loading bars.

I'm really confused - I don't understand the purpose of registering the app, don't understand why adding the AppId is causing an error, and am unsure about whether I need to set up a proxy or not.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Susan,

There is no need to register the app. I have all my deployed WAB site with no App Id. The only time I register an app is when I register my WAB Developer Edition.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Susan,

There is no need to register the app. I have all my deployed WAB site with no App Id. The only time I register an app is when I register my WAB Developer Edition.

AndrewSchwartz
New Contributor II

Interesting! The wording of the Deployment Instructions (Deploy your app—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers) makes it sounds like adding/registering the app and adding a proxy are mandatory.

Does this mean I do not need to worry about setting up a proxy either?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Susan,

You will need a Proxy if you want to embed the AGOL credentials in the proxy for you app to bypass the login or is you are doing any buffering in your app (buggering an other large geometry operations will exceed the GET request limit and Need to use POST, so a proxy is needed for that).

AndrewSchwartz
New Contributor II

Got it. Thanks again Robert!!

0 Kudos
AndrewSchwartz
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

I thought my problem was fixed, but our client finally tried logging in with their ArcGIS license credentials and received this message:

I have already set the permissions for the WebApp, the Web Map, and all included layers to be shared with a Group, of which this ArcGIS account has been invited to and accepted.

Any idea what I'm going wrong?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Susan,

Those steps sound right. You probably need to get some help from esri tech support.

0 Kudos