I have a network of pipes with flow direction arrows, and I want to display only one flow arrow per pipe. My arrow symbols appear properly with one arrow per pipe segment when viewed in layout view of my mxd, but when I export to pdf each pipe segment shows many crowded flow arrows. I have tried adjusting the line/gap spacing under template in the symbol properties editor but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I've realized that some pipes in my data set have many vertices and the program is showing at least one arrow between vertices instead of one arrow per pipe.
Attached are two photos, the first is how it appears in the mxd (with fewer flow direction arrows) and the second is the pdf version (with too many flow arrows).