Suggest - Locator and Geocode Service

06-11-2018 07:04 AM
deleted-user-AAb7-r4fhb6g
New Contributor III

Hello,

I enabled suggestions on my simple locator which consists of place names in "Name, County" format. As it happens, there are several places within the same county having identical name (e.g. Newtown, Hampshire).

I published this locator as a geocode service and enabled suggest capabilities. I tested Suggest rest API call and only got one result back for any place name which I know exists within the same county more than once.

I'm probably missing some important settings whilst building the locator. Could you please recommend what the settings should be?

Thank you, Monika

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Which address locator style did you use to create the address locator? Do you have an example of the REST Suggest request you made that didn't return the expected results?

-Shana

0 Kudos
deleted-user-AAb7-r4fhb6g
New Contributor III

Hi Shana,

thanks for replying. I used the General - City State Country style. I tried both options where County = State, County = Country with same results:

Suggest request returns one result:

Compare to Find request which returns all 10 places:

Monika

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Monika:

If Name, County are in a single field in the reference data, try creating a locator based on US Address—City State locator style and map the field to  Named Place. Then publish the locator. What are the results? Another locator style to consider is the General - Gazetteer to build the locator. Commonly used locator styles—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop