How do I label polyline segment lengths?

06-07-2018 08:56 AM
MarcusBrown
New Contributor II

Hi, I have a user who has several polyline features and needs the segment length labeled between each vertex of each feature. I notice Maplex allows placing a single label for multiple line segments (as is common with a street centerline that is split at each intersection). This seems to me to be the opposite case. I thought about using linear referencing but would like to avoid adding m-values to my feature class. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

With an advanced license... split line at vertices... will allow you to generate the necessary geometry.  If you start with polygons, then convert to polyline, then split... from the geodatabase shape_length property, you use that for the labelling.

No advanced license?  it could be coded if it were mission-critical

0 Kudos
MarcusBrown
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, it looks like we're going to have to do a work-around on this one with a separate feature class. The problem is, our line features are representing continuous segments of fiber optic cable. We ended up instructing the user to create a separate feature in a different feature class for each segment needing labeling. It's not an ideal solution so I'll post here if we find a more elegant solution later.