What are ESRI Well Known Basemap Ids?

Jump to solution
06-06-2018 08:18 AM
BlairJones
New Contributor III

I want to construct a BasemapGallery from a collection of Basemap.  In the API reference does not provide a link to "well known Ids";  my internet search for "basemap well known id" comes up empty.  So what are these "well known" ids?

From the ESRI API Reference for Basemap

// or create the basemap from a well known ID

Basemap.fromId("topo");

Good health!

Blair

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Blair,

Here they are:

The following are valid options: "streets" , "satellite" , "hybrid", "topo", "gray", "dark-gray", "oceans", "national-geographic", "terrain", "osm", "dark-gray-vector", gray-vector", "streets-vector", "streets-night-vector", "streets-relief-vector", "streets-navigation-vector" and "topo-vector". Property added at v3.3. The "terrain" and "dark-gray" options added at v3.12. The "dark-gray-vector", "gray-vector", "streets-vector", "streets-night-vector", "streets-relief-vector", "streets-navigation-vector" and "topo-vector" options were added at v3.16.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Blair,

Here they are:

The following are valid options: "streets" , "satellite" , "hybrid", "topo", "gray", "dark-gray", "oceans", "national-geographic", "terrain", "osm", "dark-gray-vector", gray-vector", "streets-vector", "streets-night-vector", "streets-relief-vector", "streets-navigation-vector" and "topo-vector". Property added at v3.3. The "terrain" and "dark-gray" options added at v3.12. The "dark-gray-vector", "gray-vector", "streets-vector", "streets-night-vector", "streets-relief-vector", "streets-navigation-vector" and "topo-vector" options were added at v3.16.

KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
BlairJones
New Contributor III

Thanks Robert and Ken!

The API for Map lists 17, ESRI phrase "well known IDs"  is, at best, unfortunate; they could have easily pointed to the map API. 

I would like to mark both answers as "correct"; I chose Robert's because he was first with an explicit answer.  I did mark Ken's "Helpful".

Now to make the rendered widget useful with features like resizable and draggable and sortable (jQuery UI).

Good health!

Blair

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Blair,

Ken's link is for the 4.x API and my list is from 3.x API. Not sure which you are using.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The documentation indirectly links to the well-known IDs. From the Basemap page, click on the link "basemap ID" in the line

Basemaps can be created from a PortalItem, from a well known basemap ID, or can be used for creating custom basemaps.

which takes you to the fromID method. In that description is the line

See Map.basemap for a list of possible values.

That takes you to the list of well-known IDs. Granted, it should be done directly in the code snippet that you showed.

0 Kudos