Get geodesic area via GeometryService

02-07-2011 02:23 AM
MarioObendorfer
New Contributor
Hi,

I have written an application that should measure the geodesic distance between the points of a polygon while creating the polygon (DistanceParameter) and when the polygone is finished the complete extent und area (both again geodesic) of the polygon should be computet. I've tried AreaAndLengthParameter, but there is no way to compute the geodesic area and extent with this function/parameter. Unfortunatly I haven't found another way to compute the geodesic area with a GeometryService.

Is there another API-function that I didn't notice to compute the geodesic area and extent of a geometry or do I have to compute it myself?

Thanks in advance ... greets Tol
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JianHuang
Occasional Contributor III
JavaScript 2.2 (next release) will have a method esri.geometry.geodesicAreas to calculate the geodesic areas of polygons.
Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
MarioObendorfer
New Contributor
Thanks for the answer Jian,

is there something like a roadmap for the JS API, with release dates and planed features?

There are some other features (i.e. snapping while editing geometries) I'd like to have in my application and it would be interesting if I have to code them myself or a future release would bring this features.

Thanks Tol.
0 Kudos
JianHuang
Occasional Contributor III
Unfortunately, there is no public available plan for the future.
For snapping, yes, it's under consideration at the version 2.3. If you have any specific request for more functionalities, please let me know.
Thanks for your feedback.
0 Kudos