ESRI BUG Status Update: Username is longer than 20 characters
The status of Esri BUG-000102658 has been changed to the dreaded "Not in Current Product Plan".
- During the installation of Portal for ArcGIS
- When specifying the Portal for ArcGIS service account
- The following error message displays
- (If the combined length of the username and the domain name is longer than 20 characters)
- "Username is longer than 20 characters"
- Public Explanation: Use Domain\username instead of the User Principle Name (useranme@domain).
This reminds me of old Arc/Info UNIX coverages, shape files or DOS 8.3 naming limitations.
I thought Active Directory enabled systems configured for single sign-on allow 64 or more characters for authentication needs.
Maybe I missed it but I did not see this 20 character limitation listed in the esri documentation.
I found this link about secure authentication that lists options for up to 1,000 characters in the authentication process.
I think there is room for improvement here from both sides and look forward to reading you comments in this discussion.