AnsweredAssumed Answered

Points Contain Attributes for Connected Lines

Question asked by Underscore on May 30, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 5, 2018 by Dan_Patterson

A point layer feature class, representing sewer manholes, was incorrectly designed.  Each one has attributes for the pipes north, south, west, and east of it.  This is fine for a human looking at individual features, but is a nightmare to do analysis at scale.  I need to transfer these attributes to the actual pipes that are north, south, west, and east of each manhole.  Note that these terms might not mean the pipe is at exactly 0°, 90°, 180°, and 270° from it.

One idea I had was for each manhole to be the center of four 90° wedges, like a circle with an X through it.  The wedges would have all the attributes of the manhole.  A spatial join could help me transfer the attributes in the manhole layer to the pipe layer where they belong.  I can take it from there, and I do realize that each pipe can have multiple manholes connected to it.

But how shall I proceed to make a wedge layer from points?  Sure I can buffer the points, but I don't know how to cut an X through those circles' centers.  Any ideas?  I'm semi-comfortable with Python and Model Builder if that's part of the solution.

Thanks in advance, GIS experts!

Outcomes