ArcGIS Pro cannot delete fields

05-30-2018 10:14 AM
ThilinaSurasinghe1
New Contributor II

In ArcGIS Pro 2.1, when I attempt to delete a field (via the attribute table, field view) or a feature class, my process fails and I get the following error message: "Table is being edited, failed to execute". But, the item I am working on is not being edited. The layer is checked off in the content pane and thus unchecked in the "list by editing". Yet, I keep getting this error message 000496 all the time. In ArcMap, we had the option of stop editing, but, this is no longer the case in arcGIS Pro. The only way to stop editing is to unchecked the layer from content pane. But, this does not help me at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you made some edits to something, you need to commit them by selecting Save (in the edit tab).

Are you sure you didn't change something without saving it?

see Save or discard edits

ThilinaSurasinghe1
New Contributor II

Yeah, under the edit tab, I checked if there are any unsaved layers. All are saved-and the save icon is grayed out. Besides, I was not actively in any editing sessions. So, Ia m sure that is not the case. Thanks.

0 Kudos
ThilinaSurasinghe1
New Contributor II

Yeah, under the edit tab, I checked if there are any unsaved layers. All are saved-and the save icon is grayed out. Besides, I was not actively in any editing sessions. So, Ia m sure that is not the case. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Close all active sessions of ArcGIS Desktop. Open a new/blank session of ArcGIS Pro.

Try using the geoprocessing tool for deleting the desired field. Delete Field—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Think Location
ThilinaSurasinghe1
New Contributor II

Thanks, that's what I did too. closing and reopening is the way to go... all the other geo-possessing tools did not work.  

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Can you show where you are trying to delete the field?

Are you using the fields view as shown in this link 

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/geodatabases/overview/create-modify-and-delete-fields.htm

Also is this field in a file geodatabase or some SDE thing?  If the latter, that may be the issue

0 Kudos
ThilinaSurasinghe1
New Contributor II

Dan Patterson- thanks for the reply... Yes, I was doing precisely what the link says-- but no success. As I've said, closing and re-opening the project did help to rerun the geo-processing tools. I think, ArcPro has some weird schema lock that does not go away even if you saved all the edits, and even the layer is turned off for editing. seemingly, closing and reopening the project is the ArcPro's way of "stop" editing.  

BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am having this same problem also.  Restarting the application is not making a difference.  I am trying to delete many fields in a FGDB.  Doesn't seem to matter if the FGDB was created in ArcMap or ArcPro, I have the same issue with either.

I am trying to delete many fields, but even if I just select a few, I get the same problem.  See image below:

It seems like it deletes one or two fields, and then stops.  Afterwards the FGDB is not accessible and all my data is lost, even after a restart of ArcPro.

I have tried creating the feature class from scratch, by importing from another GDB (both PGDB and FGDB), and also by importing from a shapefile.  All cases eventually lead to me getting the above error when trying to delete fields.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-1_r2dgYuILKY
Occasional Contributor III

I am having the same trouble while running a script tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3. The fields will be deleted from several features, and then the tool will eventually fail. This does not happen running the script in IDLE. 

0 Kudos