A download page for Portal?

05-30-2018 02:02 PM
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

I like the way Yakima County has set up a page to permit downloads of GIS data sets with AGOL. https://gis-yakimacounty.opendata.arcgis.com/  Can I do this with Portal 10.3.1?  Can you point me to the docs on this? 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

That's Open Data, (help on configuring it), and it looks like it's only for ArcGIS Online. The closest to that may be allowing data to be exported from services.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

As Jonathan said, Open Data is only available to AGOL. 

There is currently an idea out there to get this made as an option for Portal. If it's important to you, vote it up and let your account manager know!

I'm also going to publish a free "data discovery" website framework that will essentially be a data discovery tool for internal use. Open Data is good, but we've matured to a point where we want more internal sharing, so we'll be using a Ruby-on-Rails and OData framework to allow folks to host data, find data, comment on data, and request data in a user-friendly format.

I'll post the github link when that project is done

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

I was unable to find the feature request part of the ESRI website today.  Is it still available?

0 Kudos
BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

You are probably aware, but at 10.6.1 Esri released ArcGIS Enterprise Sites, which is basically OpenData for organizations.

It sounds like this would fit the need for exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Set up Sites in Enterprise Portal—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

-----------------------------------

Brian Baldwin, Esri Inc., Lead Solution Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/baldwinbrian
0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

I'm looking at this now, but I'm already stuck at step 2. "Click the Apps button Apps in the header of your portal, then click on the Sites application to access the Sites administration app; you will be automatically signed in. "   Apps button?  Am I not finding the Apps button because this is 10.6 not 10.6.1?  No, crap!  I'm running Portal 10.3.1 because I am running it on top of Enterprise 10.3.1.  That's probably why I'm not seeing this as described. When can I get off of this upgrade carousel?

0 Kudos
BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry Paul, I understand the pain. It's just tough to strike a balance of upgrading to support new functionality/enhancements and working with IT to roll out upgrades. The 10.3.1 version you are on just passed the 3 year mark, so it certainly could be time and probably not too hard to justify an update at some point in the near future. It would certainly be less painful than supporting a custom development project for a 'sites' experience that has already been created/supported by Esri.

-----------------------------------

Brian Baldwin, Esri Inc., Lead Solution Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/baldwinbrian
0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

What would the upgrade from 10.3.1 to 10.6.1 be like?  Would I just run

the exe and my settings and databases would be preserved?  And my users

wouldn't have to update their connections? And redo the procedure to

federate Portal to the new version of Server geodatabases?

The upgrade from Server 9.3 to 10.3.1 was difficult, probably too long

to wait.  I think it was 2015. The versions of MS SQL Server were so far

apart, the databases had to be backed up, restored to an intermediate

version of MS SQL we found at another agency's servers, then restored to

SQL Server 2012.  Then the old data was loaded after manual inspection

and selection to entirely newly organized databases, and all the users

connections redone, all the data paths in map projects had to be restored.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Right, upgrading 9.3 or 10.0 to 10.1+ was quite an endeavor, but 10.3.1 to 10.6.1 should be much easier and straightforward. All existing settings, data, content, users, etc will be preserved. You can follow this guide to assist you in the upgrade:

Upgrade ArcGIS Enterprise—ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Enterprise 

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

When I click on "View the full discussion" in the email,  or try to get

into geonet from my browser today, I just get stuck at " "Forwarding to

login.." Is that happening to everyone today?  Wasn't there some warning

about Geonet availability recently?

0 Kudos