Timelapse and CityEngine

05-28-2018 09:30 AM
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

I´m trying to create Timelapses using the Sun Position and Shadows on CityEngine, of course I know CE has fixed sky.

My first try was export the Screen Capture on Webscene, it works but is not perfect. It´s hard to use the slider with precision to capture one Print and save the image. Attached my best one with 119 frames to represent the Sun and Shadows of my project in Lisbon - Portugal.

My second option is try to create a scrip to capture and save one image per minute in 24 hours on CityEngine. But I´m not Python Expert. So, someone tried this in the past? It´s make sense to use CE to create timelapses ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LR
by

Why don't you just record your screen? AFAIK you can't access the light and panorama settings with Python anyway.

0 Kudos
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho

Record the screen it´s not the same. It´s impossible to use the slider with total precision.

I´m a photographer to and I do timelapses sometimes. A good timelapse has a lot of pictures and is the best to create a smooth view.

I understand, Python is not the option. I´ll try others alternatives.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
LR
by

The slider is accurate down to 3 minute intervals, even if you extract every unique frame from the recording that's 20 seconds at 24 fps for a whole day. For a time lapse, that's rather smooth.

Alternatively, you could probably set up a loop with a macro scripting tool like AutoIT or AHK to iteratively change the lighting settings directly in CE and export a screenshot. Very prone to eventually fail due to hiccups in the process but you could pick up where it broke if you log your iteration settings.