Calculating roadway distance within 1.5 miles of a single point

05-24-2018 07:29 AM
ShelbyPW1
New Contributor II

I am trying to calculate 1.5 miles of roadway distance from a single point (Fire Department). Can this be done using a standard license? If so, how? If not, can this be done in QGIS and how? Thanks for your input.

Brett

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That sort of question is typically answered with  ArcGIS Network Analyst | Overview .

That should just about do it....
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Can you elaborate on your question?

For example:

Chris Donohue, GISP

ShelbyPW1
New Contributor II

For insurance purposes, I am looking to create a layer showing all roadway features that 1.5 miles traveled from the Fire Station. Thanks.

Brett

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Then you need to take a look at what both Chris and I suggested with respect to Network Analyst.....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you have access to it, Network Analyst is the way to go.  Of course, that can easier be said than be done, as its a less-commonly used Extension, and if it is not available in your organization one will have to weigh buying it.  Also, using it can be interesting, as there is a learning curve to it and the data preparation can get pretty intense.  But if you have it and a network dataset already set up, it is an easy process to run a Service Area and then extract the roads that can be traversed for 1.5 miles from your fire station point.

Another option if you see that the cost and/or work in doing the data prep is too prohibitive is to consider hiring a consultant to do it for you.  (Both Joe Borgione  and I used to do this when we were in the Private Sector).

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos