Datetime format in HTML popups

05-22-2018 02:10 PM
MichaelLacy
New Contributor III

We have several map services with layers (created from SQL Server tables/views) that display datetime fields. We also have HTML popups defined for many of them (table of visible fields).  The default format for date fields appears to be "M/dd/yyyy h:mm:ss tt", but I would like to change it to "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss".  Is there a way to define a default format on the server, so that it will apply to all date fields?  Or is there a way to specify the format in the MXD using ArcMap?  Things I have already tried or thought about:

1. Changed the source query to reformat the fields using FORMAT([MyDatetimeField], N'yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss'). That worked, but changed it to a text field, which had some unintended consequences in client applications, since they provide different options for text vs. date fields.
  2. Used the CONVERT function in the SQL query to reformat the field *and* keep it as a SQL datetime type.  However, ArcGIS ended up reformatting it.  Seems like as long as it's a date field, ArcGIS will change the format to its own default.
  3. Changed the datetime display settings on the Windows server using Control Panel.  This changed the format within ArcMap but not in the published map service.
  4. I thought about formatting the HTML popup using XSLT, and using the format-dateTime function within that.  However, it looks like only XSLT 1.0 is supported and the date/time format functions need 2.0.
  5. We could put code in the client applications to reformat datetime fields in the popups, but that defeats the purpose of defining the HTML popups on the server.
  6. While Googling, I did see some references to Field Configurations and the Production Mapping extension, but I currently don't have access to that.

It feel like there should be a simple way to do this, but I'm missing it.

Thanks,
Mike

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MTorres
Occasional Contributor

bump

0 Kudos