Edit a model does not open Model Builder

05-22-2018 05:28 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

It happened now a several times that I created a model in Model Builder (ArcMap 10.5.1) and when I try later to edit it, the model builder is not opening. I tried to open the affected models from ArcMap and also from ArcCatalog but without success. It might be that I had minimized the model builder window when closing the mxd file but I also closed all other windows hoping to find the small window for the model builder somewhere. No chance.

Does anybody have an idea if there is a way to recover these models somehow? I wasted already so much time on redoing models that suddenly didn't open again. 😞

Edit: I was able to open the model in ArcGIS Pro, saved it under a new name, exported the toolbox from ArcGIS Pro to 10.5 and was then able to open the model in ArcGIS again, only that I had to fix some of the processes again. I would still be interested if there is an easier way... 

0 Kudos
24 Replies
RenaatSchoolmeesters1
New Contributor

Did you scan the edges of your screen carefully after trying to edit the model? Sometimes ArcGIS Desktop windows are nearly or completely off-screen. Go with your mouse around the screen edges; if the cursor changes to a double arrow, the Model Builder window might be hidden there and you might be able to drag it back in view. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

A handy trick from myself is if you open something and it doesn't appear (i.e. is hidden off the screen somewhere), press and hold the Windows button and press the Left or Right Arrow key. This will move the active Window to automatically fill half of the screen that it is on, making the window visible if it is hiding somewhere. Windows + Up will make the active window fill the whole screen. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I like that! 🙂

Doaa_Naguib
New Contributor

wow, it really works

awesome

thank you

0 Kudos
SepheFox1
New Contributor III

You, sir, are a hero.

0 Kudos
CatalinaLLanos7
New Contributor

4 colleagues and I just spent an hour looking for our model and Windows + Up did the trick LOL!  Thanks Lindsay!

0 Kudos
mercechinchilla
New Contributor

Super!! This works!!

0 Kudos
VarvaraVedukhina
New Contributor II

Thanks from another person who encountered this problem.

0 Kudos
GiovanniNegri
New Contributor

La mejor repuesta que pude encontrar en mi vida, jaja, Gracias, que mucho busque. Pero esto me soluciono a mi

0 Kudos