why can't i move photos?

05-19-2018 11:14 AM
ScottPowell2
New Contributor

Clicking and dragging to move a photo in my story map suddenly doesn't work.  And after that stops, then I can't click and pan the map either.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Could you let us know which Story Map app template you are using? There are several of them  although only two (Shortlist and Map Tour) let you move pics around. This might be a good one to contact Esri Support about directly. so they could help track down what might be going on: Esri Support Home .

Rupert

0 Kudos
ScottPowell2
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  I am using Map Tour.  And I have tried moving photos on maps I have made previously that had no problem.  I have also tried using both explorer and firefox, neither of which work (my default browser is chrome).  Furthermore, it does let me change the color of the icon, but not move it!  I will contact Esri support as well.

Scott.

0 Kudos
MeganHeckert
New Contributor

I'm having this exact same problem. Did you ever reach a resolution?

Thanks,

Megan

0 Kudos
ScottPowell2
New Contributor

Megan,

No, I did not. Someone did look into it briefly but couldn't find the problem. It still works properly on my old computer which is also running windows 10, but not on my current machine. It is very frustrating!

If you make any progress on this, please let me know. I have given up and am looking at other mapping tools, which is disappointing since ESRI is supposed to be the best.

Scott.

0 Kudos
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Hi Megan and Scott,

Sorry for the trouble you've been having!  I would still suggest contacting Support (https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support) as that's the most likely way we'll be able to reach a resolution.  Machine configuration specific issues (as this one seems to be) are typically very difficult to isolate, but the more people who report the issue, the more likely it is we'll be able to find what is in common between the machines where this problem occurs.  

Scott if you want to pass your previous case number to me I can look into.

Regards,

Alan

ScottPowell2
New Contributor

Alan:  I will report this again, with whatever additional information I can provide.  

Megan:  What hardware are you using?  I am running an HP Pavilion laptop, 12GB memory with an AMD A12-9720P Radeon A7 processor.

Scott.

0 Kudos
MeganHeckert
New Contributor

I'm using a Lenovo P40 Yoga. After Alan's last reply I tried the same activity on lab computers at work and there is no problem there using either Firefox or Chrome, which are the browsers I had tried on my own computer. After a few hours of playing with this, I suddenly realized that though I had not used it, I also have internet explorer on my computer, and I tried that. Lo and behold, everything worked fine! So my problem seems to be tied specifically to chrome and firefox, but not all versions of them. (I did not check to compare any differences in configuration between my personal computer and the lab computers, but I supposed that might be a step towards figuring out the problem.)

0 Kudos
ScottPowell2
New Contributor

Megan,

Thanks, that's good input that will help with the debugging. I had also tried those three browsers earlier with no success. There have been some updates so I will try explorer again and report back.

Scott.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Scott and Megan.

Can I also confirm the behavior you are seeing when it doesn't work: in a Story Map Tour there is always one tour point currently selected (it's point marker symbol is shown larger on the map than the other points). Are you finding that you can't drag that marker to a new location? Note that Map Tour doesn't let you click on the map to specify the new location for the currently selected tour point: you have to drag that point to a new location to relocate it. It also won't let you drag a different marker to new location: it only lets you drag the currently selected marker to a new location. Does any message appear in the Map Tour Builder when it doesn't work? Also if you open the Console for your browser (i.e in Chrome press F12) do you see any errors listed when this doesn't work?

I don't know what is causing this issue but here are a couple of other things to try. It would be good to eliminate if this is something to do with the particular map you are using in your Map Tour, such as the basemap, the specific spatial extent it is using, or any Organization wide geocoding locators defined in your ArcGIS Online Organization's Admin settings.I t would be good to check on a machine on which you get this issue, do you get the same issue if you create a new Map Tour using a different basemap and extent? And it would be good to check if you get the same issue if you sign in to ArcGIS Online using a Public Account instead of an Organizational account to see that if that eliminates the issue. 

- If you are using ArcGIS Enterprise (as opposed to ArcGIS Online) there may be an issue in Story Map Tour in ArcGIS Enterprise versions prior to 10.6.1 where you may not be able to drag points in the Story Map Tour Builder if your map uses a vector basemap that uses a reference layer, such as the Imagery Hybrid basemap or the Light Grey basemap. It would be good if you could try changing the basemap used in your Story Map Tour to see if that fixes the issue. 

- Story Map Shortlist has an issue where an invalid locator specified at the Organization level causes entering street addresses in that builder to fail, and we see the same issue via HTTPS if there's an Organization wide geolocator that uses HTTP. It's not quite the same as what you are seeing but that is another thing that signing in with a Public account instead of an Organizational account and making a new tour, would help to eliminate.

Rupert

0 Kudos