Survey 123 crashing on iOS

05-17-2018 09:54 AM
ShannonWhite4
New Contributor

We built a survey using survey 123 connect, it works on windows desktop and android phones but if we load the survey within iOS the application simply crashes.  Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Shannon,

Would you be able to provide the XLSForm that you used to create your survey?  If so, please upload it to this thread or send it to me at barmstrong AT esri.com.

In addition, please provide the version of Survey123 Connect that you used to create the survey and the iOS devices and versions where you are encountering the issue.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Shannon,

After taking a look at your XLSForm, and reproducing the issue on an iOS device, it looks like you are encountering an issue that we have recently identified as a BUG.  The issue is currently logged in Technical Support as ‘BUG-000113684 : Surveys with multiple Repeats with Repeat Counts added crash upon opening in the Survey123 Field App for iOS’.

As insinuated by the title of the bug, the issue is related to the presence of repeat counts in the survey.  Please try to remove the repeat counts from the XLSForm, republish, and redownload to your iOS device and then attempt to open again.

For the time being, it will be necessary to omit the repeat counts if you are looking to take the survey on an iOS device, but please be aware that we intend to fix this in the future.

One other note: If you do have access to Esri Technical Support, I would recommend creating a case and having them add you to this bug. This helps us maintain record of how many people are affected by this behavior.

Best Regards,

Brandon

CédricVilleneuve
New Contributor III

I have the same issue without having repeat counts

0 Kudos
FieldUser1One
New Contributor III

Has this issue of repeat counts been fixed?

0 Kudos
BennetGigliottiManHydro
New Contributor II

For those encountering this issue in 2021 @FieldUser1One  and @CédricVilleneuve  I found a workaround for this bug on iOS. Simply wrap your repeat_count expression in an if(<expression> > 0, <expression>, 0). This seems to be related to how a null is interpreted in the repeat_count on iOS. For me this fix ended up looking like this: if(count-selected(${Question1}) > 0, count-selected(${Question1}), 0)

Hope this helps!

FieldUser1One
New Contributor III

Thanks Bennet, I'll try that.

Has there been an update on how to determine your forms memory usage for "complex concatenations"in iOS?  Or any work-arounds for relevant to display 'other'?