Trying to start geocoding

02-04-2011 05:57 AM
MichelleWeiss
New Contributor
I'm an avid user of ArcGIS 9.x   but I've just started using ArcMAP 10 in a new company that has never set up any GIS software before.  I'm trying to create a Address locator but it seems that ArcMAP 10 didn't come with any streetmap data, or zip code shape files.  Am I correct?  Is there anywhere to get this before purchasing ESRI' streetmap premium?

Thanks for your help.
P.S. I'm also new to the forums
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SeanMcGinnis
New Contributor II
You are correct, the ArcGIS 10 install bundle did not include the streets data. That being said, you can log in to the Esri Customer site and download the ISO which has all of the data and map templates to be used in ArcGIS Desktop.

Another option you have is to use ArcGIS.com worldwide geocoding service. Recently Esri announced that it is free for internal use or noncommercial external use.

Hope it helps.
0 Kudos
MichelleWeiss
New Contributor
Thank you for the confirmation.  I'm in the process of downloading some of the maps and data now.  I hope I'll be geocoding shortly.  
Thanks -
0 Kudos
MichelleWeiss
New Contributor
If the data is available for download what would be the benefit to purchasing Esri StreetMap Premium Geocode NAVTEQ State for ArcGIS Desktop and Esri StreetMap Premium Mapping/Display NAVTEQ State for ArcGIS?
0 Kudos