Geoprocessing service not working?

05-17-2018 05:27 AM
AmyKelly1
New Contributor

I am trying to create a tool in model builder that I will eventually publish to our ArcGIS server as a geoprocessing service, I then want to use the geoprocessing service in arcGIS online within one of my web map apps with one of my AGOL hosted feature layers as the input.  The tool is fairly simple and takes an input point layer and performs a number of field calculations based on data in existing fields populating the results into other existing fields.

To create the model I have used a local offline copy of the feature service layer as the input and set it as a parameter. When I publish the tool I have selected 'user defined' as the input so that the users of the geoprocessing widget in my web app can select the input layer from the map.

In ArcGIS desktop the offline model runs fine using the local copy of the data . It also runs fine if I bring the actual AGOL hosted feature layer into my mxd, create a local copy for editing and then point the input of the tool to this layer.

The geoprocessing service publishes fine to arcgis server but the geoprocessing service doesn't work. I can bring it into arcGIS online, I can also add it to a geoprocessing widget in my web app. But when I click the widget, select the input layer, then hit execute nothing happens. I do sometimes get some dots on the screen indicating it might be doing something but these just disappear after a time and leaves a blank window. My fields don't get updated so i know it isn't working. I've also tried to use the geoprocessing service directly in arcmap and it doesn't work there either.

Can anyone advise what is wrong with my model or how i need to set it up so it works as a geoprocessing service in the way i need it to?

I have attached my tool box but I unfortunately can't provide the input dataset.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
deleted-user-YufVdzn2SiDo
New Contributor

I have the same problem, you find a solution?

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you are both trying to modify local data using a geoprocessing server -- which you cannot do. I think for this to work you need to pass data to the model, copy the layer (say, using the Copy Features tool), do your calculations, and then return a new result dataset (not a layer).