Locate not working with Join

05-16-2018 08:26 AM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to add a layer in my Map to the Locate tool, but after I click on 'OK' nothing really happens.  No error message, but also it does not show up in the Locate pane.

I have a join on the layer I am trying to add.  Could this be the reason it is not working??

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

make the join permanent by saving to a new layer and try that one... there is nothing in the help specifically

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did making the join permanent work? or is this still open?

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi Dan,

No, I did not make the join permanent.  That isn't really the most ideal solution.  The way I see it, I should still be able to use the Locate tool on a layer with or without a Join.  In ArcMap the 'Find' tool will work even with a Join.

Is this perhaps a 'bug' or a feature that needs to be added??

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

yes, not sure if Locate is supposed to be a replacement for Find or something completely different

But if you have tested with different files and it persists, you would have to check ArcGIS Ideas‌ to see if anyone else has logged a similar situation

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian:

Can you provide a few more details about the data the participates in the join? I've found that if I have a file geodatabase that contains a feature class and a table, then join the table to the feature class I can configure the feature class for search successfully. I have found that if I joined a csv table to the feature class that I am unable to configure the feature class for search.

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Shana Britt

So, I am trying to replicate but have noticed that now (or at least since the update to 2.1.3) things are different.  The Locate pane will not even let me add a layer that has a join on it to the Locate.  Under 'Settings' I select 'Add Layer' and then choose the layer with the join to add, and nothing happens.

Also, prior to creating the join that layer was showing in the Locate, and after adding the join the system must have removed it.

So, what does this mean??  ArcPro does not support joined layers??  The join I was using was and SDE Feature class joined to an .XLS sheet.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Brian - ArcGIS Pro does support joined layers.  I think the issue here is the Locate "add layer" is using field alias's to configure the search options. I suspect the Excel file does not have alias fields unlike a feature class.  Let me do some more digging but I think this is why you're seeing this failure to configure.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you trying to locate attributes in the joined attribute table or xy location?

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Robert LeClair

I am trying to locate attributes that are in the SDE Feature class, not features in the joined .XLS file.

0 Kudos