New Contributor III

How do I fix?

Tried changing with the transformation button but still get this error-

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Editing data where the layer is in a different projection from the data frame is probably not ideal but isn't necessarily a problem. See About editing data in a different projection for more information. Doing nothing and going ahead with your editing is an option.

If you want to match the data frame coordinate system to the coordinate system of the layers (assuming your layers are all in the same cs), you can do this, as Robert mentioned, on the Coordinate System tab of the Data Frame Properties dialog box.

1. In your ArcMap TOC, right-click the data frame name name (which is Layers by default) and click Properties.
  2. On the Data Frame Properties dialog box, click the Coordinate System tab.
  3. In the upper window of this dialog box, expand the Layers folder and select the layer you want to match. Click OK.

Data frame properties dialog box

This should remove the Start Editing warnings you see. Robert cautioned that this method does not always seem to work, but I've never known it not to work. I would try it before rebuilding your mxd.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

The best way to fix it is to make a new MXD.  You can try to fix it in the Coordinate system tab but that does not seem to always work.

Export all your features as a layer file.  Start a new mxd.  Add one item that is in the desired projection.  A feature that is not part of the layer files.  Add your layer files back in and remove the first feature.

You MXD frame will now be in your desired projection.

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Editing data where the layer is in a different projection from the data frame is probably not ideal but isn't necessarily a problem. See About editing data in a different projection for more information. Doing nothing and going ahead with your editing is an option.

If you want to match the data frame coordinate system to the coordinate system of the layers (assuming your layers are all in the same cs), you can do this, as Robert mentioned, on the Coordinate System tab of the Data Frame Properties dialog box.

1. In your ArcMap TOC, right-click the data frame name name (which is Layers by default) and click Properties.
  2. On the Data Frame Properties dialog box, click the Coordinate System tab.
  3. In the upper window of this dialog box, expand the Layers folder and select the layer you want to match. Click OK.

Data frame properties dialog box

This should remove the Start Editing warnings you see. Robert cautioned that this method does not always seem to work, but I've never known it not to work. I would try it before rebuilding your mxd.

deleted-user-Jhc6Dca2JfQr
New Contributor III

Thanks Tim & Robert

Appreciate the help!

0 Kudos