AnsweredAssumed Answered

When Can We Expect Some Options with SignInToPortal?

Question asked by bixb0012 Champion on May 8, 2018

This question isn't to the community as much as Esri staff involved with ArcGIS Pro development.

I gotta say, there are times I really dislike Esri having two Python APIs that don't appear to coordinate much at all in terms of development.  Case in point, I want to Copy To Data Store—GeoAnalytics Tools | ArcGIS Desktop from a stand-alone Python script, but our organization's internal Portal/Enterprise is PIV enabled and enforced.

Looking at SignInToPortal—ArcPy Functions | ArcGIS Desktop, you have one authentication option, username and password.  The documentation does at least acknowledge some of the limitations:

Portals that use Integrated Windows Authentication are not supported; username and password are required parameters.

The kicker for me is that the ArcGIS API for Python supports many more authentication options with arcgis.gis module — arcgis 1.4.1 documentation .

GIS

classarcgis.gis.GIS(url=None, username=None, password=None, key_file=None, cert_file=None, verify_cert=True, set_active=True, client_id=None, profile=None, **kwargs)

So I can use my PIV to authenticate with Portal/Enterprise using ArcGIS API for Python but not ArcPy with ArcGIS Pro?  I really hope I am missing the obvious.

Outcomes