Web map in Cascade narrative panel?

Jump to solution
05-08-2018 01:56 PM
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

Are there by chance plans to allow small web maps to be added to the scrolling narrative panels within the immersive sections of Cascade story maps? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lindsay -- You can't pick a web map from the media picker when adding media to a narrative panel, but narrative panels do allow web content media. So you can add a map, but it takes a few extra steps.

Just paste in a link or iframe code for a simple map on the 'Link to Content' tab. You can use the code you get from sharing from the ArcGIS.com map viewer (see screenshots below) or a link to a simple app you've created using the Media or Minimalist configurable app templates. I'd recommend turning off all/most of the controls like scale bars and zoom in/out buttons.

You don't have any control over the size of the map, but it might fit your needs. It'll look like the screenshot below...

If you could share why you want to add a live map in the narrative panel, I'd appreciate it. We've discussed this a bit on our team and are interested to hear your reasons for this.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lindsay -- You can't pick a web map from the media picker when adding media to a narrative panel, but narrative panels do allow web content media. So you can add a map, but it takes a few extra steps.

Just paste in a link or iframe code for a simple map on the 'Link to Content' tab. You can use the code you get from sharing from the ArcGIS.com map viewer (see screenshots below) or a link to a simple app you've created using the Media or Minimalist configurable app templates. I'd recommend turning off all/most of the controls like scale bars and zoom in/out buttons.

You don't have any control over the size of the map, but it might fit your needs. It'll look like the screenshot below...

If you could share why you want to add a live map in the narrative panel, I'd appreciate it. We've discussed this a bit on our team and are interested to hear your reasons for this.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Owen! That is really helpful. Sometimes in an immersive section we'd love the main feature to be a video or photo and then have a smaller reference map. We could create a small static image map, but we always prefer to include a web/interactive map (even if small) in a story map when possible (and it's typically a time saver to embed a web/interactive map as well rather than create a static map image).

0 Kudos