How do I clip a layer exactly to the boundaries of a polygon? Tried clip tool but it only cuts to an area around my polygon (Image attached)

Jump to solution
05-04-2018 10:52 AM
AdamJames1
New Contributor
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

So If I'm understanding this correctly, you want to clip a raster (top layer) by a polygon (London Boundaries).  And the software you are using is ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.

If that is the case, one workflow would be this:

1.  As suggested by Xander Bakker, run the geoprocessing tool Dissolve (Data Management) on the London Boundaries to simplify it to one polygon boundary.

2.  Run the Clip (Data Management) geoprocessing tool, specifying for "Output Extent (optional)" the feature class created from the Dissolve and checking the box to employ "Use Input Features for Clipping Geometry (optional).

Dissolve—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Clip—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

View solution in original post

7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you use Clip—Help | ArcGIS Desktop on two polygon layers, it will clip the input polygons using the clip polygon (exactly). Both your layers are polygons? To avoid any redundant intersection you could dissolve the clip features (if they are multiple polygons) into a single polygon using Dissolve—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

AdamJames1
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply, the lower layer (London boundaries) is a polygon, top layer is a raster 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you are trying to clip the raster by the outline of the polygons, you could also set it as Mask and do a simple Raster Calculation that returns the raster: Mask (Environment setting)—Help | ArcGIS Desktop or use Extract by Mask—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

So If I'm understanding this correctly, you want to clip a raster (top layer) by a polygon (London Boundaries).  And the software you are using is ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.

If that is the case, one workflow would be this:

1.  As suggested by Xander Bakker, run the geoprocessing tool Dissolve (Data Management) on the London Boundaries to simplify it to one polygon boundary.

2.  Run the Clip (Data Management) geoprocessing tool, specifying for "Output Extent (optional)" the feature class created from the Dissolve and checking the box to employ "Use Input Features for Clipping Geometry (optional).

Dissolve—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Clip—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

AdamJames1
New Contributor

That worked perfectly, thank you for the clear explanation!

Adam

0 Kudos
AaidaHoney
New Contributor

Its nice to see that and like a appreciated your endeavor.Keep it up to more

0 Kudos