Issues with on premise content in Microsoft Edge Browser?

05-03-2018 09:03 AM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Esri/GeoNet Community, 

We're looking for anyone who may have experienced or may be currently experiencing this same issue. 

When we view any ArcGIS Online application (Map Viewer, Operations Dashboard, WAB) with on premise content (hosted on our internal ArcGIS Server)  using the Microsoft Edge Browser it results in an error displaying the data. In AGOL Map Viewer or WAB it states that "The layer can not be added to the map." In Operations Dashboard the data simply cannot be displayed, and results in an error message "Not Fully Configured". (Please see attached)

We do not have this issue in any other browsers, Chrome, IE, Firefox, and Safari all work without issue.

We have been able to narrow down that this is strictly an internal network issue (everything is accessible off the network) and confirmed that this is not a firewall issue. We have also confimed with IT that our organization has no restrictions set on our Edge Browsers as well. 

One more detail, when using Fiddler this content is viewable and results in no errors or issues. We are aware that Fiddler inserts it's own certificate, but are not sure how we can use this evidence.

We are working closely with our IT department as well, but they are just as puzzled as we are. 

Thank you!

40 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Amanda,

We are getting the same results with AGOL Dashboard.

Only the edge web browser acts like that.

Even Safari on iPad works fine.

Did you find out what the issue is?

-Bill

edge browser‌ operations dashboard‌ Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Bill, 

I'm so sorry to hear you are experiencing this same issue. We're seeing that exact same behavior, but we have still not discovered the cause or a solution. Our IT team has been looking deeper into the behavior but we haven't had much progress. I'll keep this thread updated if we do discover the solution. 

Best, 

Amanda

0 Kudos
KaiFunahashi1
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am seeing a similar problem on one of my ArcGIS online maps and dashboards and am wondering if this is the same bug. On Google Chrome (ver. 66.0.3359.181), I see the "...cannot be added to the map" and "Not fully configured" issues as you both do, but the difference for my case is that this problem also persists for Firefox; the dashboard works fine on Safari. This is currently happening with only one map/dashboard. Here is what is especially peculiar for my case, however: Yesterday the map/dashboard worked just fine on Google Chrome. I shut my computer down and retired for the night; this morning, it doesn't work the same and returns "Not fully configured" and "...cannot be added to the map"... quite perplexing.

On another note, a different map/dashboard worked just fine on Google Chrome but did not work on Safari, though that was a couple of weeks ago... right now, this map/dashboard works on both browsers without any problems.

Have you also noticed a change between the days in how the maps/dashboards are able or unable to operate? Any suggestions and ideas welcome. Thank you for your help!

All the best,

Kai

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Kai, 

That is very peculiar behavior. We haven't had any fluctuation in behavior on our end but it definitely sounds very similar to our issue. 

0 Kudos
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

Our organization is also experiencing this problem. The AGOL-hosted web apps that are consuming local (on-premise) ArcGIS Enterprise REST map services have these testing results:

• Do NOT work in Edge when viewed in-network on-premise. The AGOL-hosted content and app buttons show up, but the Enterprise map services do not.
  • DO work in all other browsers tested (Chrome, Firefox, IE) when viewed in-network on-premise.
  • DO work in all browsers, including Edge, when viewed outside of our network.
  • Do NOT work in Edge when viewed outside of our network while on a MS VPN. The AGOL-hosted content and app buttons show up, but the Enterprise map services do not.

I have worked with both Esri Support and our IT Department and haven't been able to determine where the fix is. I have a *theory* it could be related to mixed content / mixed security. Our Enterprise REST map services are HTTP (currently), while the AGOL web map and Esri-hosted data is HTTPS. But again, I haven't been able to get to the bottom of this. In the meantime, we have instructed our users not to use Edge.

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Brian, 

That's a good theory and could be part of the issue for your organization. The only catch is, our REST map services are HTTPS and we are still experiencing this issue. 

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

All,

With respect to the web browser-based Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS app, I am sorry to hear about your issues with using it in Microsoft Edge web browser. We have identified several bugs and are actively working to resolve issues.

To help us investigate, can you please contact Esri Tech Support and open an issue - with repro steps? The more info we can get, the better it will help us.

@Amanda - Nice dashboad app in the screenshot you posted, any chance it is publicly accessible? I would be interested in checking it out.

Thanks,

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Derek, 

Thanks so much for the response! 

Unfortunately we have already opened a case with support and since closed it since they mentioned they were unable to assist us since it's an 'internal issue' (Case # 02107067). This is why we turned to GeoNet to see if any other organizations may also be experiencing this issue, and if they resolved it.  As it seems from the above threads, we are not the only organization facing currently facing this issue.

In addition, you're in luck our dashboard is publicly accessible. Here's the link: Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS 

Thanks, 

Amanda

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Amanda,

Belated thanks for the info and sharing your Operations Dashboard app - it looks great! I will send you a PM to get some more background info on the dashboard.

Best,