I have an image service comprised of five high resolution aerials. It is not cached, and I am going to try to avoid caching, due to server capacity limits. Also, I don't think a cached service allows users to filter out individual rasters within the image service - a necessary functionality.
- I projected the images into wgs 84 Web Mercator.
- Built pyramids and statistics on each raster
- Added the rasters to a mosaic dataset
- Built pyramids and statistics on the mosaic dataset.
- Built footprints.
- Shared the mosaic dataset as an image service.
So far so good. The image service redraw speed is reasonably fast if you are fully within an aerial, but r-e-a-l-l-y slows down at the edge of a raster, painfully so. Like 30 seconds of lag-time slow.
Is this normal behavior? Is there anything that can be done about this?