How do I set the IDE for Python in ArcGIS Pro?

05-02-2018 05:23 AM
HannesZiegler2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, I'm having difficulty setting the IDE used opened by ArcGIS pro when I right-click a script and select Edit. I have tried to enter the filepath to pyscripter.exe in under geoprocessing options, but even so only the standard text editor opens. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!

35 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You might want to consider Spyder since it is part of the Anaconda distribution that surrounds PRO.  There is also Jupyter notebook and IPython console etc

https://community.esri.com/blogs/dan_patterson/2016/07/17/anaconda-spyder-and-arcgis-pro

creating shortcuts https://community.esri.com/blogs/dan_patterson/2017/07/01/arcgis-pro-2-creating-desktop-shortcuts

https://community.esri.com/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/01/28/spyder

plus there are others on my blog

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am not sure why it isn't working.  I have successfully changed it to the bundled Idle that comes with ArcGIS Pro as well as PyCharm.  If I get a chance to install PyScripter, I will give it a shot and see if it works.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I have the same problem. No matter what I set the editor to be (even tried Word, Excel, Notepad++), the editor "most of the time" defaults to notepad. In the times that it doesn't, and defaults to idle, edits made and saved with idle replace the entire script with the path of the script. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

try Spyder, I have been using it for a long time.

Also... put those scripts in a toolbox, I can't tell from the movie whether you are using catalog view or whatever.

You can even set up a default toolbox if needed, or use the one that is created in your project.   When you right-click on one of those scripts, Spyder does open to edit it.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thomas:

Are you searching within a toolbox that you created for the python scripts in your post?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Dan, the problem is, I can't really customize my py or pro environment, we're moving toward centralized installs/images, even on my machine, so Spyder is not in the cards...scripts are in a toolbox....

Michael, not sure what searching is....I have a toolbox embedded in a Pro template with the scripts "Imported". When I open a new project using the template, and attempt to "edit" a script, all I get is notepad (most of the time) regardless of what py editor I list in options. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thomas:

Have you tried going directly to the location of the script on your network in Windows Explorer and right-clicking on the script file?  When I do this on my network I get the following options after a default installation of Pro:

I choose Edit with IDLE and I'm using IDLE to modify and run my script and not NotePad.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yeah, that location changes with each new project. Here's an instance of where it opens in Idle:

Make an edit:

Save, and reopen in editor. Defaults back to notepad, deleted the script:

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Kory Kramer‌ any chance that you will be installing the various python IDE's by default before the 31st (aka the update)?

ie Spyder, IPython, Jupyter console, Jupyter notebook.  ( a pipe dream for those in locked down world I suppose)

0 Kudos