Write only access to AGOL layers

Jump to solution
04-27-2018 12:02 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there any way that we can enable it so that the public can create content in a layer but not see anything else. e.g. ESRI's citizen problem reporter, it's a great idea but we can't allow people's contact information to be visible to anyone who can get to the rest end point.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Under the settings tab on the item details page for your feature layer you can choose the option for "editors can't see any features, even those they add"

You may want to consider creating a publicly editable hosted feature layer view with these settings and keep the parent hosted feature layer unshared or shared to a smaller group with full editing/viewing privileges. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Under the settings tab on the item details page for your feature layer you can choose the option for "editors can't see any features, even those they add"

You may want to consider creating a publicly editable hosted feature layer view with these settings and keep the parent hosted feature layer unshared or shared to a smaller group with full editing/viewing privileges. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This does work to preserve the sensitive data however now the Problem Reporter application wont load properly, any ideas?
The map has a continual loading screen if I try and open it in a browser where I am not signed in to an AGOL account

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It seemed to load alright for me. Which browser are you using? I am in Chrome.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When I open it in chrome version 66.0.3359.139 it never stops loading.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was able to to see this issue. I took a look at the web traffic in fiddler and it looks like the issue is the following request:

https://services1.arcgis.com/wE2uWQWlTTnVDgyt/arcgis/rest/services/BlightProblemReports_Public_View/...

If you go to that link you will see an error. After further investigation it looks like the service itself does not have the query operation enabled:

https://services1.arcgis.com/wE2uWQWlTTnVDgyt/ArcGIS/rest/services/BlightProblemReports_Public_View/... 

How did you publish the original layer? I am thinking that the source for this view must not have query enabled either.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I used the deployment tool in ArcGIS pro to publish the original layer. If i go to the service URL of the original I am able to query it through the end point

https://services1.arcgis.com/wE2uWQWlTTnVDgyt/arcgis/rest/services/BlightProblemReports/FeatureServe... 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now that I thought more about it I can see why the view does not have the query operation, it's because we removed the ability to see edits so that actually makes sense. 

As for why it's not working with that Problem Reporter application I will have to look into it more.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think the best way to look into this is to open a Support Case. If you are outside the US please contact your local distributor.