Help: Drawing straight lines using the polygon tool

04-26-2018 09:50 AM
Labels (1)
JoshuaLeigh
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm currently using Arcmap 10.3.1. and I am trying to manually outline glacier extent on Landsat imagery at 30 m resolution. I wan to draw a straight line around each pixel edge to create a polygon of glacier area. When I am drawing the line they often have angle changes in them so that they do not appear straight (see image below).

Is there a way to efficiently draw perfectly straight lines? - e.g. shift and drag as in Adobe Illustrator to get a perfectly straight line

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Josh. Your best bet is the GOGO toolbar.

Good luck!,

Joe

0 Kudos
JoshuaLeigh
New Contributor II

Thank you, I will have a read up on how to use this tool.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

I notice that you are to digitize the pixels of raster that have the four primary direction ( 0 - 90 - 180 - 270 )

so the Right angle tool will be appropriate or this purpose  

JoshuaLeigh
New Contributor II

Thank you for suggesting this. I have just tried this method out and it performs the task in a much quicker and more accurate way than I had managed previously.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Maybe it's more complicated than this, but have you ruled out choosing some raster value threshold, setting values above to 1, below to 0, and creating a polygon from that mask? At the very least, I'd try to use this as a starting point - digitizing raster cells looks torturous.

JoshuaLeigh
New Contributor II

Thank you for your suggestion. I am currently trying to assess how accurately a automated thresholding process generates glacier outlines and compare this to a manual digitisation. Hence the need for a quick and reliable way to digitise in straight lines.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Okay, counter-proposal: digitize freehand identifying the raster cells to be considered the "manual digitization", convert to raster and back out to line/polygon to get the straight lines.

0 Kudos