Arc Pro project will not open and is hung

Jump to solution
04-25-2018 11:47 AM
LauraMawhinney
New Contributor III

I have a project with 10 maps and 7 layouts.  Everything was going fine until I tried to open it today.  I am getting a spinning blue circle.  I let the opening process continue for a half hour and no progress.  I started ArcGIS Monitor and it shows the process.  Attached is an image of the ArcGIS Monitor.  I have to admitted that I am not very familiar with the methods.  Maybe someone can help get this project to open.  If I don't have to recreate it, this would be awesome!Arc Pro, Won

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One option to try is renaming the Esri folder to Esri_Old in the C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Roaming and C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Local directories.  Then attempt to reload the *.aprx.  Does the issue persist?

View solution in original post

19 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Was this project created from scratch in Pro or did you import the maps and layouts from an ArcMap mxd?

0 Kudos
LauraMawhinney
New Contributor III

Yes this was created from scratch.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One option to try is renaming the Esri folder to Esri_Old in the C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Roaming and C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Local directories.  Then attempt to reload the *.aprx.  Does the issue persist?

SarahParks
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, solution did not work for me. The .aprx file worked fine yesterday. I did an update to ArcGIS Pro today and now the .aprx keeps getting hung up and not opening. Other files opening fine though. It's just this one. Any other ideas? Really don't want to lose all this work! Thank you in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
JeffreyBeunier
New Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue post update - my files are stored on dropbox and now ERSI is hung up, and dropbox is having a sync error.  Did you get your's fixed?

0 Kudos
luckachi
Occasional Contributor III

I am currently experiencing this issue as well. Project won't load, just keeps spinning with "Loading" on the screen. Tried the folder renaming but did not solve the problem.

0 Kudos
SarahParks
New Contributor II
My husband suggested pulling the project out of Sync and then putting it
back in and that solved the problem!
0 Kudos
ChristinaBerry
New Contributor

I had this issue today, I tried opening an ArcGIS Pro file that I had been working on.. yesterday I was able to open it (but I didn't make any changes in that session (even though it still asked me to save my project... which I did)) and when I tried opening it today it gave an error comment and said that it was running on a newer version of ArcPro. I tried updating my system (ArcPro) and still it wouldn't open.

Finally I tried, finding the file in my computer documents file and then right clicking and then found and clicked on the option "Version History" this allowed me to see all the versions of the file that were saved, and I was able to click the version from yesterday and restore it. This method seems that it would only be viable if you haven't made any drastic changes (unless you are comfortable making the changes again) in the previous version.

If you run into that problem again, I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
LauraMawhinney
New Contributor III

Just to update on what I have noticed recently.  Last night, I decided to start a new Arc Pro project.  I created a connection to one of the SDE databases in catalog that I want to use data from.  When I tried to expand and add the layer, Arc Pro hung up with a blue spinning circle.  What is interesting is that in Arc Desktop, I didn't have an issue with accessing that same layer from the same SDE.  At which point, I decided to call it a day.  This morning, I tired to open the project and it opened.  So, maybe the project was having an issue with accessing the data?  Maybe?  If it happens again, I will try Robert's solution to see if this is a work around.  Thank you for your responses!

0 Kudos