Labeling the sides of a polygon

04-24-2018 11:37 AM
DanielMesserich
New Contributor II

I have polygons created in Pro and I'm trying to label the dimensions of the sides. These polygons have attributes, like utility owner, phone number, date, etc. that needs to stay with the parcel. I've looked into the tool 'Feature to Line,' but I don't want to create unnecessary line work. Does anyone know how to get the length of each side and not just the perimeter labeled?

Thanks,

Dan

#polgons#label#length dimensions

1 Reply
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Initially this sounds like a Dimensions Feature Class to me.  But with the ArcGIS Pro caveat is that one cannot create or edit dimension feature classes in ArcGIS Pro.

I was able to create a workflow in ArcMap and then import the feature class into ArcGIS Pro.

• Convert the polygon feature class to a line feature class using the Feature to Line GP tool.
  • In ArcCatalog, modify the application to display the "Create COGO Fields" tool and add it to the Standard Toolbar.
  • In ArcCatalog, select the newly created line feature class and click the "Create COGO Fields" tool to make the feature class COGO aware.  Close ArcCatalog.
  • In ArcMap, turn on the COGO toolbar.
  • Start an edit session and select all the lines from the line feature class.
  • Click the Update COGO attributes on the COGO toolbar and save your edit session.
  • In ArcGIS Pro, add your line feature class to a new map and label your lines based upon the "COGO Distance" Field.

Not an ideal workflow but it will work.  Also, this is not to be construed as representative of a legal description either.