AnsweredAssumed Answered

Newbie: Which Pyscripter 64/32 bit? VM Win 2012R2, AGS 10.5.1

Question asked by mravichandran on Apr 23, 2018
Latest reply on May 1, 2018 by mravichandran

dear Readers,

good afternoon.

I have a VM with AGS server 10.5.1 and Arc desktop 10.5.1.  I have 2 versions of Python present in the VM Win 2012 R2 server OS.

I am a newbie to Python - I have 15+ years of working in ArcObjects (VB n C#), Silverlight, and JS.  I am trying to get a handle on the 'environment' for python and support existing code and develop new gp functions as needed.

before sitting in acgis geoprocessing course, I took the time to set up Anaconda and Jupyter to learn most of the syntax basics.  the training was in Pyscripter and for some reason, it did not cause hiccups because it was a training machine on esri cloud. Anaconda and Jupyter worked fine then and now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSXzlpVZM50&index=9&list=PLaPDDLTCmy4aA6oxJVe1YsJlxJO_0psyv&t=0s - (from 2018 dev summit) at 6+ minutes, it clearly indicates 2.x for ArcGIS desktop and 3.x for ArcGIS pro and server objects.

i am trying to 'debug' / support a ArcGIS server geoprocessing python script done for 10.1 or 10.2 (currently in production) and sooner or later, that will be 'migrated' to 10.6.

there are many pages that talk about using PyScripter 32 bit version - most of these pages/blogs were written in 2015 and no updates (most of non-ESRI pages).  Are there newer 'how to' pages?

Py: 2.7.14 and 3.6.5 (64 bit)

Pyscripter - 3.3.1.0 x64 ; PyCharm community ed - 2017.3.4

arcgis (10.5.1) and arcgis 10.5.1

Both Pyscripter and Pycharm do not like "import arcpy" statement or any of the "from arcpy import AddMessage, ..." - all red squiggly lines in Pycharm and no intellisense or suggestions in Python Interpreter in Pyscript.

thanks for taking the time to read through this.

regards

ravi kaushika

Outcomes