Survey123 not saving. Giving me the error: "the question has not question component"

04-24-2018 08:15 AM
deleted-user-sYHsW3p_gN5o
Occasional Contributor II

I'm building a Survey123 in the online builder, and at first it would let me save just fine. But now when I try to save, it just gives me the error "the question has not question component."

The details say the same thing. It's really strange, and Google hasn't yielded any results. I don't want to simply refresh, because I most likely will lose all changes since the last save.

I'm on google Chrome Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Has anyone seen this error before? 

EDIT: I deleted the last two of my questions just fine (and that didn't fix anything) but it won't let me delete my third-to-last question. I'm assuming this is the issue.

Tags (2)
6 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Based on the error message you are receiving, it appears that one of the changes you did has caused the internal representation of the form to become invalid.  One of the ways to troubleshoot would be to remove the questions, most recently added first.  I also see that this message in particular can arise around the process of creating a new question by copying another- did you create any questions this way?

Hi James, thanks for the quick response! No, I didn't copy any questions. I'll try removing questions one by one.

As a side note, thanks for the training you put on in Sacramento several months back. I'm finally getting a chance to use that knowledge. 

0 Kudos

I just deleted the last two of my questions just fine (and that didn't fix anything) but it won't let me delete my third-to-last question. I'm assuming this is the issue. I'm going to try refreshing the page and re-making the questions.

0 Kudos
Josef_Strobl
Occasional Contributor

are you suggesting not to use the copy question functionality?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Josef,

We have seen occasions where the copying question capability can cause issues; this can occur after several editing steps.

0 Kudos
EmelineRenz
New Contributor III

I just lost an hour of work on a survey when this happened. It is often the case that, when creating smart surveys, questions are repeated. I know I had saved my survey several times, but when I tried to resolve this error, the app froze and I had to close the tab. I reopened the survey and the only question left was my first question. 

I also noticed that after 20 questions, the question count started back at 2, so some of the early logic I had configured was acting really wacky. 

Is there a recommended "order of operations" that will avoid this issue? 

0 Kudos