How to create a WMS service?

04-23-2018 09:42 AM
TheodoreF
Occasional Contributor II

Using Pro (or ArcMap), how can I host a simple point vector layer as a WMS service?

I've read that I need to have ArcGIS Server? But I can't find a download option for this at all in my organisation's downloads section. Same goes for ArcGIS Enterprise.

Is there no simple way to do this?

I want the final WMS link to be password protected too...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Theodore, 

What do you need exactly? Do you really need it to be a WMS service or can it be a hosted feature layer?

Here is documentation on publishing feature layers

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

TheodoreF

HI Adrian,

I'm not entirly sure which option is best, though I'm sure hosting layers on ArcGIS online isn't the right solution as we want to be able to publish these GIS layers privately for commercial purposes.

The only way I can think of would be to create a WMS service URL with password protection. Then distribute the link with password to our clients.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

If you have a server and/or ArcGIS Enterprise‌, you can publish the map service to that and give it the right password protection and credentials you are looking for.

Tutorial: Publishing a map service—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

0 Kudos
TheodoreF

Is Enterprise a separate purchase?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Theodore, ArcGIS Enterprise is a separate license from ArcGIS Desktop. This is something you would need to speak with your Esri rep about if you are interested in obtaining it. There are multiple level of licensing with it and various levels of how to implement it.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

You can enable the WMS capability with ArcGIS Server. The challenge you'll find is that there's little support among OGC clients for Esri's Token Security model - they typically expect basic or digest auth. 

WMS services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

How will your clients be consuming the WMS you're intending to publish? Will they be writing their own apps?

While I am an Esri employee and promote Esri software, there are other options like GeoServer or Open Layers from which OGC layers can be served. I've used GeoServer a good bit, and it accepts shape files as source data. You won't be able to host OGC layers in a desktop app like ArcGIS Desktop or Pro.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

It's great to have Esri employees who can share some outside-the-box type of solutions! 

0 Kudos
TheodoreF

Thanks Randall. I'm not sure exactly how clients will use the WMS layer. Potentially adding it as a layer into desktop software like QGIS/ArcGIS for viewing purposes.

I'm trying GeoServer, but can't even connect to localhost in the browser! So a slow start there

Thanks

0 Kudos