Map colors are different when printed out. How to recreate legacy print out colors?

04-18-2018 01:09 PM
AnneWynn
New Contributor II

How do I recreate map colors that printed out (circa 2011) in different shades then what I am seeing now in ArcMap (version 10.5)? The older map print outs were exported as jpgs in ArcMap in 2011, and the colors are lighter and brighter than what I currently see on my computer monitor in ArcMap and my current print outs on the office's copy machine. The RGB and HSV values for these colors appear to be the same as what was used in the legacy maps. 

Anyone had a similar experience with color shifts like this? 

I would be very grateful any suggestions on how to recreate colors.

Thanks,

Anne Wynn

Geological Survey of Alabama

Tuscaloosa, AL

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Anne, I have seen this, and it depended on whether we used normal or best quality settings, and it also depended on the quality of the paper that we used.  When we used best quality and a higher quality of paper we were closer to what we saw on the screen.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

We also made a screen shot of the color palette, and printed it off on our paper to see that color that would match up to the color that we wanted to see on the map (even though this did not look the same on the screen).

AnneWynn
New Contributor II

And yes, I made screen shots and printed them out to compare. But still haven't figured out how to get that color hue back. 

0 Kudos
AnneWynn
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply, Chad.  Glad to know I'm not the only one who has experienced this before!

0 Kudos
AnneWynn
New Contributor II

I will try using different paper and changing the quality of the settings to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

Change Resolution of Export map and see the difference. 

AnneWynn
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion! I will give it a try and see if it helps!

0 Kudos