Shapefile opens with SpatialReference Wkid-0 for well known SpatialReference

04-16-2018 11:57 AM
DavidMillican
New Contributor II

I am opening a shapefile that was exported from another commercial software package and the spatial reference has a Wkid of 0. It looks like the spatial reference wasn't identified by the SDK even though I can see in the .PRJ file that it is a publicly defined projection system. The spatial reference appears to work except that shapefile tables can't be reprojected and I need it to be visible when I am showing other data in the publicly defined projection system. I am using  ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET 10.2.7. Any help with this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you post the contents of the prj file? Or give its well-known / Authority ID? If you don't want to post it it publicly, send it to mkennedy at esri dot com.

Melita

0 Kudos
DavidMillican
New Contributor II

PROJCS["NAD_1927_StatePlane_Texas_South_FIPS_4205",GEOGCS["GCS_North_American_1927",DATUM["D_North_American_1927",SPHEROID["Clarke_1866",6378206.400,294.97869821]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]],PROJECTION["Lambert_Conformal_Conic"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",2000000.000],PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.000],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",-98.50000000000000],PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Origin",25.66666666666666],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_1",27.83333333333333],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_2",26.16666666666666],UNIT["Foot_US",0.30480060960122]]

0 Kudos
DavidMillican
New Contributor II

And the shapefile came from Petra by the way. My understanding was that it was created using Petra's definition for NAD 27 Texas South. Again the map control seems to be able to display the culture data but the spatial reference is failing to find the Wkid as far as I can tell. If there is something non-standard about this, do you know of a solution for verifying that I can do prior to import? Is there any way to clean it up or translate prior to import perhaps. I have to be able to work with this kind of data or look for another tool. 

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

If there's no known matching SRID it will be 0. What is the WkText property returning?

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Morten Nielsen

Morten,

Rob checked the WKT in the projection engine, and it was able to find the WKID. The only difference I see is that the standard parallel 1 and 2 values are swapped. In the projeng, we internally swap them because our convention is lower/smaller value is in SP1, but EPSG and some others use a north-to-south convention. WKID is 32041.

EDIT: Fixed the WKID number.

Melita

DavidMillican
New Contributor II

Actually that should be 32041 which is Texas South. 32040 is Texas South Central from FIPS 4204. But these are well known systems that are failing lookup. Any ideas what I can do about it this in my application? Is there a way to convert these at all? 

0 Kudos
DavidMillican
New Contributor II

The same as what's in the PRJ file that I supplied above. How does ArcGIS lookup the SRID? Is it on the SR name? Wkt perfect match? There is some kind of lookup being done there. When I look at spatialreference.org it appears that this SR has been renamed. The old ESRI documentation shows the name that is in the Wkt that I supplied above but looking that same ID(32041) up on spatialreference.org the name shows as NAD 27 / Texas South. Obviously that would fail a name lookup. 

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

We'll look into why the corresponding SRID isn't being identified, but if the WkText property returns the projection string, it should work just fine for you. Are you seeing any issue with drawing the data in the correct location?

0 Kudos
DavidMillican
New Contributor II

The file is displayed on the map by itself just fine. The problem is that I was told that Shapefiles cannot be reprojected into another projection system. So if I have other data in the correct projection system(32041) and this is a kind of custom projection system by Wkt with Wkid-0 then it can't reproject and be in my map that's in 32041. 

0 Kudos