No (graceful) way out of edit mode

Jump to solution
04-16-2018 09:32 AM
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Spent some quality time this weekend working on a story maps project (Cascade and tour variants). When viewing your story map, there's a button to begin editing the story maps but there's no button to STOP editing. Why is that? Your only option to stop editing is to close the tab of the story map which drops you out of your AGOL account dashboard which is frustrating and not efficient.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Steve -- Thanks for your feedback. Currently, story map apps have two modes -- builder and viewer. When you are signed in and view one of your own stories we give you an Edit button shortcut to quickly enter builder mode. When you are done making changes in builder mode you can click Preview in the toolbar to see your story as it will appear to your readers.

This opens your story in another tab, leaving builder open in the previous tab so you can easily return to it if you need to make more changes. Does that help improve your workflow?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If it like ArcGIS Pro.. where there is a Save option (you don't have to stop editing like in ArcMap)

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Steve -- Thanks for your feedback. Currently, story map apps have two modes -- builder and viewer. When you are signed in and view one of your own stories we give you an Edit button shortcut to quickly enter builder mode. When you are done making changes in builder mode you can click Preview in the toolbar to see your story as it will appear to your readers.

This opens your story in another tab, leaving builder open in the previous tab so you can easily return to it if you need to make more changes. Does that help improve your workflow?

Owen Evans
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I don't see a preview button from the edit mode of a Photo Tour Map. The only buttons present are SAVE | SHARE | SETTINGS | HELP. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd like to have a breadcrumb or method to return to my AGOL account from the builder mode.

Also, specific to the Cascade Story Map, it would be nice if there was a second line of small text (left/right justified at the bottom) to allow you to place a photo credit for a photo used as a background in a title pane.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Steve -- Thanks for the additional feedback. The Preview button in the Map Tour Builder is currently located in the Share panel. We're looking at moving it out to the main toolbar in a future release. We've also discussed having a link back to your Content page on arcgis.com from the Story Map Builders and we are considering that and adding dedicated text for image credits in Cascade.

Owen Evans