ArcGIS Pro Print Preview

04-13-2018 12:27 PM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I have created a layout in ArcPro and I wanted to preview the print-out before actually printing the map, but I see no way to do this and the Help files do not mention a Print Preview that is available in ArcMap.  The layout appears to fit on 8.5" x 11" paper which I sent to the printer, but the map printed on 2 pages.  I then sent the same layout to be exported to a pdf and it only appears on only 1 page not like on 2 pages for the printer.  I can see wasting a good amount of paper if I cannot perform a print preview.

Does anyone know how to preview the layout print in Pro before sending it to the printer?

Any help or hints are greatly appreciated.

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Never noticed... but I usually print to pdf or snagit, then decide from there if the 'print' is worthy of a paper incarnation

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I sent the same layout to pdf and it printed on 1 page, but when I sent it to a printer it printed on 2 pages.  As such, the use of printing to pdf is unreliable to know how the layout will actually be sent to the printer.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Strange... I guess I use the SnagIt printer more often, since it allows you to adjust everything.

It looks like they use the Microsoft pdf, Maybe if you had adobe or something else similar.

Of ArcGIS Ideas‌ might be worth a look to see if it has been proposed already, since I see nothing in

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro/blog/2017/07/10/arcgis-pro-roadmap

either

0 Kudos
RobertThomson
Occasional Contributor II

I have exactly the same problem in printing maps and if it's it's huge I'd rather not send it to the printer first.  For these problematic maps I must print to PDF first, then print.

I would welcome a built in print preview.  

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Dan_Patterson‌ suggestion of submitting an idea on https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=f36f5b9d-fd5b-4893-a3af-f084698...‌ is a good one.

Print Preview for ArcGIS Pro... I'll make sure it is on development's radar, but opening it up to the community is a helpful gauge for us to assess priority.  Thank you!

PatrickGrady
New Contributor II

Hi Kory - any updates on whether or not print preview will make it into future releases of Pro? Thanks!

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I don't have any updates, but if you haven't made your way over to https://community.esri.com/ideas/15376 you should.

0 Kudos
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Michael,

In addition to the ArcGIS Ideas post Kory made, we also have an internal enhancement: 

[ENH-000118063: Create a Print Preview button in ArcGIS Pro]

Feel free to give us a call in Support Services and request to have a case created so that you can attach yourself to this enhancement. Then you will also be able to follow this enhancement in My Esri.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Rachel

Esri Support Services

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Rachel... you should attach the enhancement link in the Idea that Kory linked too.. might get more exposure