Collector and Survey 123 Using the Same Feature Service?

Jump to solution
04-12-2018 03:25 PM
TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

I have a current Collector and Survey 123 workflow referenced here that I'm wondering if I can improve by using the same feature service. The current workflow uses a feature layer in Collector with pre-established plot locations to call a S123 form. Survey 123 then creates a new feature layer with points in different locations that are not always close to the original plot location. However, I'm wondering if a plot point that I select in Collector can be edited by Survey 123 without S123 creating a new feature layer. Is this possible? If so, am I simply creating the survey from the existing feature service and adding fields to it as needed? Or do I need to create a consolidated geodatabase schema that has fields from both Collector & Survey 123 first before creating the web map & survey? Would it matter if multiple field staff would be syncing their S123 edits at different times (data overwritten?)? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tony,

It would be best to manage your feature service and related tables in ArcGIS Online and/or using Pro by adding the additional fields you require and adding the relationships to related tables etc.

It is possible for Connect to add additional fields to feature services now on re-publish without re-creating feature service, however given you are trying to use an existing feature service and make related table (repeat) changes, I would suggest doing this at feature service level ,and not via Connect to avoid any issues, especially if you have existing data in that feature service.

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tony,

Yes, you can use the same Feature Service for Collector and Survey123. If a feature is created in Collector, you can then edit it in Survey123 and vice versa. As you suggest, simply create the survey in Connect based on an existing feature service, the same one Collector is using.You can also use app launching urls to launch Survey123 directly from Collector. There is a few blogs and user posts regarding this, plus you can find more info in the Survey123 documentation.

The syncing of edits will be managed by the Feature Service, no different to multiple users editing data from Desktop, Pro, AGOL, Collector all at the same time, adding Survey123 to the mix doesn't change the way editing and syncing of data works.

Phil.

0 Kudos
TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Philip,

My current Collector feature service with the pre-established plots does not have all the fields needed for the S123 Survey. Do I need to add all these fields to the service before creating the Survey from it? Or can I simply update the service with new fields via S123 Connect? If the latter, will repeats created with Connect be reflected in the ‘updated’ service after publishing? Thanks.

Tony

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tony,

It would be best to manage your feature service and related tables in ArcGIS Online and/or using Pro by adding the additional fields you require and adding the relationships to related tables etc.

It is possible for Connect to add additional fields to feature services now on re-publish without re-creating feature service, however given you are trying to use an existing feature service and make related table (repeat) changes, I would suggest doing this at feature service level ,and not via Connect to avoid any issues, especially if you have existing data in that feature service.

Phil.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I did this exact thing (Plots to forms) but I did it with Relationship Classes.  Worked out great.

See my post on the very last page of this topic for more info

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche...

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Doug...will give what you suggest a try.

Tony

0 Kudos
TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

I've managed to create a survey that references the same hosted feature service as Collector. I did this for one of my simpler workflows that does not have repeats.  This workflow is disconnected so I'm trying to use the S123 Inbox with all pre-established plot points field staff will be surveying; however, I'm still calling the survey from Collector using custom url syntax. I was wondering if attributes for points selected in Collector can be used to filter what needs to be edited within S123.  I've tried using the S123 Inbox Filter to query for BLK_ID = ${BLK_ID} and PLOT_NUM = ${PLOT_NUM}; both of which are being passed to S123 from Collector.  However, I get a Code 400 error (cannot perform query. Invalid parameters) when trying to refresh the S123 Inbox.  Is it possible to query the S123 inbox using field values passed into it from Collector when using the same feature service? Thanks.

Tony

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tony,

Currently the Inbox cannot be accessed from a URL, which is part of the Collector workflow.  

0 Kudos