Why can I not publish a hosted feature to Portal?

04-11-2018 09:12 AM
Mark_Hotz
Occasional Contributor II

I have federated by ArcGIS Server - Portal, and can add layers from the geodatabase as hosted layers in Portal when putting together a web map (under Add --> Search for Layers).  However, I did publish a single layer as a feature service the other day and it automatically showed up in my "Contents" as a hosted layer.  I have not been able to replicate that success though.  

Now when I publish a map service it only shows up as a "Map Image Layer".  In version 10.6 is this now synonymous with hosted "Feature Layer", or am I not doing something right?  Is this because Portal will only recognize a feature service as a hosted layer, and not a map service?

How does one add a single layer as a "hosted feature layer" to Portal, and not a "Map Image Layer"?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

Did you check Feature Access under Capabilities of the service editor?

Mark_Hotz

Thanks Michael for the feedback.  I did check the Feature Access under Capabilities, but I'm thinking now that much of my question is due to a lingering lack of understanding between the terms: Feature Layer and Map Image Layer.  As I mentioned to Derek below, if what I would think is a Map Layer, and if this is the same thing as a Map Image Layer, then I don't think this is a problem.  I just get the impression that a Map Image Layer is an image graphic that may behave differently than the map services I usually add to Portal.  So I thought I would ask the community for clarification.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

Just FYI:

• "map image layer" is a portal item type > powered by a map service (could be hosted or not)
  • "feature layer" is a portal item type > powered by a feature service (could be hosted or not)

Introduction to sharing web layers—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

I know that some users refer to a "map image layer" as simply "map layer" - but this is not an official term.

Hope this helps,

DerekLaw

Hi Mark,

Are you publishing content from ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap?

FYI, some help doc:

Hope this helps,

Mark_Hotz

Derek:

Thanks for the response...most appreciated.  I published a feature service yesterday and it published directly to my "Contents" in Portal as a hosted feature service.  This is what I expected.  However, when I try to publish just a map service (by unchecking feature service when publishing) it is saved in Portal as a hosted Map Image Layer.

So what I'm trying to determine is if a Map Image Layer is just a feature service that one cannot edit, or is it an image? (i.e. is a Map Image Layer just what ESRI refers to as a hosted map service?).  I was expecting just a "Map Layer" to be added to Contents in Portal, but if Map Image Layer and Map Layer are synonymous then I don't have an issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Mark,

> ... is a Map Image Layer just what ESRI refers to as a hosted map service

No. The term "map image layer" is a portal item type. It could be powered behind-the-scenes by either a hosted map service, or a map service from an ArcGIS Server site (e.g., federated or registered).

> I was expecting just a "Map Layer" to be added to Contents in Portal ...

Yes, when you share content from ArcGIS Pro to a portal (either ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS), you end up creating a new portal item. Sharing a data layer in your ArcGIS Pro map, will create a new "map image layer" portal item - assuming you did not enable feature service. Depending on how you shared the layer, the data could be referenced or copied to portal.

> ... if Map Image Layer and Map Layer are synonymous then I don't have an issue.

I don't think the term "map layer" is really official in the ArcGIS help documentation. But I know sometimes users use the shortcut term "map layer" instead of the official term "map image layer" to refer to the portal item type.

Hope this helps,

Mark_Hotz

Thanks again Derek...the clarification makes sense.  I'm currently setting up permissions and privileges on layers in Portal, and some users will need to be able to make some edits, while others not so much.  One of the layers is quite crucial and we don't want anyone other than those who need to be able to make edits.  So I have been experimenting with permissions in both feature layers and map image layers, and also sharing to see if one method is more robust than the other (i.e. don't share the feature layer to those who don't need to make edits etc.).  We had a few other issues that needed to be resolved here too that was hampering my progress (e.g. certificates and browser credentials etc.), but those have now all be fixed -- and now my ArcGIS Pro is able to publish :-).

Knowing that a map image layer is indeed what I have been calling a map layer is very good to know too.  The terminology had me confused so I needed to be sure that what I was including in our Portal hosted data is what I need.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Mark,

> I'm currently setting up permissions and privileges on layers in Portal, and some users will need to be able to make some edits, while others not so much.  One of the layers is quite crucial and we don't want anyone other than those who need to be able to make edits.

FYI, you may want to look into using "feature layer views" to address this requirement,

Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos