user survey stuck in outbox

04-11-2018 07:45 AM
AldousTsang
New Contributor III

Off site user submitted surveys from 4/6 & 4/9 but did not get uploaded to AGOL.

User sent screenshot of error 1009 - No permission to edit the specific feature. 

error message outbox

I checked the settings as attached/shown:

AGOL feature layer setting

I had suggested to update the app to 2.7 since the update was posted 4/4. Also, recommended user to make sure to check the sign-in is correct username in the survey123 field app. I am unsure why the user is unable to 'edit and resend' or 'send' their surveys. I was able to send a test survey just now without any issues (no changes were made to the form), survey was working fine (user had already entered 200+ surveys without any issues). I checked survey123.arcgis.com settings in case the settings got reset from the update but was fine.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Aldous,

I'll point out the setting 'What features can editors edit?' - it currently is et to being able to edit only those features they own.  Can you try setting that to 'Editors can edit all features' and have your user attempt submission again?

0 Kudos
AldousTsang
New Contributor III

After changing the setting, the user was able to submit but none of the surveys uploaded to AGOL (also surveys "sent" from the device after 4/5 was not uploaded to AGOL). We were only able to 'edit and resend' one survey to be uploaded to AGOL, other attempts did not work on older surveys. The user has about 20 surveys between 4/5-4/10 that did not upload to AGOL while running the older version of Survey123 on an iPad.

I am thinking that we may need to extract the data from the device and manually import them into AGOL and worry about the associated photo attachments. I know there is a workflow to do so somewhere here (a link would be helpful). Thanks!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Aldous,

Please refer to Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS .  This works best if you the person recovering is either an organization admin or the owner of the feature service; owners of feature services have 'superuser' rights to editing the data in the service.

0 Kudos
AldousTsang
New Contributor III

Thanks James for the link.

As for the surveys that were 'sent' but not uploaded to AGOL, what is the explanation and/or solution/workaround for the user?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Given the editor permissions change succeeded, it appears that those were edits to existing features, not the addition of new features.

0 Kudos
AldousTsang
New Contributor III

Survey was working fine, before the 2.7 update. The surveys/features do not appear/was not created in AGOL. Resending does not add them. User entered 20 surveys (4/5-4/10) that the device as sent but did not create features in AGOL. I am hoping the user does not have to re-enter the surveys as new (and lose their photos from previously). Not sure what would cause the survey to stop working or if the update changed the settings.

How would I be able to prevent something like this to occur in the future?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Aldous,

There are still a few variables to separate in this instance before the reason for this issue is identified, as it involves the interaction between Survey123 and ArcGIS Online.  If you can have the user generate a log file (see Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS , but ignore connecting to a console - a file can be generated without that can then be recovered in the same manner as the 'Recover data from a mobile device section later on the same page).  

The 'Recover data...' section mentioned above can help in moving the data to a PC for another submission attempt.  Additionally, I normally recommend submitting all data before any change in the system (either updating a form or the application version).

0 Kudos