ArcPro - Use a field for the label but use an expression in the legend

Jump to solution
04-05-2018 07:07 PM
deleted-user-Kq6tBi-9bAzM
New Contributor II

Hi community!

Every question starts with "This should be easy", right?

I am working with public zoning data and would like the map to be labelled with the zone_code field (GRZ1, IN2Z, RDZ3 ...). That is straight forward. Next, I would like the legend to show zone_code + zone_desc (i.e. GRZ1 - General Residential Zone 1).

I have created a new field called Legend_title ("zone_code" + " - " + "zone_desc") but now I can't work out how to use that as the legend description. 

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor II

Some lunch and sugar later ...

In the Symbology tool, I have changed the Value field from zone_desc to legend_name (my concatenated field). I can now use the zone_code as a map label from the ribbon bar, while the Symbology label is the concatenated field. We were on the right track, just needed to identify the Legend draws Layer names from the Symbology setting. 

Huh-ZAH!

(Edit: except it changes all my colour scheme! Oh well, the next piece in the puzzle!)

Screen grab of Symbology pane.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

why don't you use your concatenated field for the legend, then a single field for the label?

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/text/specify-text-for-labels.htm

for example.... legend is one field... label is another... legend field could be a concatenation of multiple fields... doesn't matter... labels, whatever field I want

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Hi Dan

That's what I would like to do. I re-read the page you sent but it is all about concatenation for labels it seems (I will use that page to adjust caps in the legend!). How do I specify the field to use for the legend? Format Legend allows me to choose Description or Layers or Group Layer Names but I can't see how to choose my specific field. I tried to find a way to use my new field as the Description in layer properties but couldn't find the way to do that either.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you make a field with the concatenation you want?  You make a field and use the field calculator to get the values you want concatenated.  Skip the label concatenation.

If you did make a concatenated field, use it for the legend, and use another field for the label

That is exactly what I did (X and 0 etc., is a concatenation... just not a fancy one).  I think you need to look at this from another angle

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Some lunch and sugar later ...

In the Symbology tool, I have changed the Value field from zone_desc to legend_name (my concatenated field). I can now use the zone_code as a map label from the ribbon bar, while the Symbology label is the concatenated field. We were on the right track, just needed to identify the Legend draws Layer names from the Symbology setting. 

Huh-ZAH!

(Edit: except it changes all my colour scheme! Oh well, the next piece in the puzzle!)

Screen grab of Symbology pane.