How to delete a geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
04-05-2018 01:10 PM
DariushAmeli
New Contributor III

I'm pretty new with ArcGIS Pro and have plenty of basic questions that I can't find a clear answers for in the web. I ask these related questions together in here:

>> How to remove a geodatabase lock, and how to delete a geodatabase?

>> Why when I change a folder name, it doesn't show the new changes in Windows Explorer?

Is there any answer for these questions? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DariushAmeli
New Contributor III

Dan,
Thanks for reply. Before, I tried to delete the geodatabase based on the instructions in "Manage geodatabase locks" document, but it didn't work. It doesn't sounds normal, but previously I didn't have this "Property" option in my geodatabase right click menu! I still don't have "Connections" option, too. 

In answer to your question, No, I changed the folder name in Catalog Tree, when Windows explorer was closed. I restarted Window, still no luck.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A lock persists for a variety of reasons

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/geodatabases/manage-db2/manage-geodatabase-locks.htm

Refresh ? Are you trying to view a changed folder name at the same time your file explorer is open?

Do these issues persist after you have rebooted and restarted? (of course any gdb's used in your project will have a lock by default)

0 Kudos
DariushAmeli
New Contributor III

Dan,
Thanks for reply. Before, I tried to delete the geodatabase based on the instructions in "Manage geodatabase locks" document, but it didn't work. It doesn't sounds normal, but previously I didn't have this "Property" option in my geodatabase right click menu! I still don't have "Connections" option, too. 

In answer to your question, No, I changed the folder name in Catalog Tree, when Windows explorer was closed. I restarted Window, still no luck.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

How to remove a geodatabase lock, and how to delete a geodatabase?  A database lock is indicative that someone is using the database; I've found that Pro likes to 'hold on' to things and locks probably are one of them.  Shut down Pro and restart should do the trick.  To delete a database, add the folder that the database is within to your project. Then navigate to that folder, right click on the target database and choose delete.

Why when I change a folder name, it doesn't show the new changes in Windows browser  :  Thats great question!  I just tried renaming a folder in Pro, then closed Pro and opened Windows Explorer and sure enough, the original name persists.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DariushAmeli
New Contributor III

Joe, Thanks for reply.

The Folder I am working on is already a part of my project and the target database is in the folder. I logged off Windows and logged in again to refresh everything. The Delete option is still deactivate, though.  

There is a thing! I am using my organization enterprise ArcGIS account and this problem maybe has something to do with the account administrate. I guess I should discuss this issue with our GIS department.

0 Kudos