why did they send me "Arcgis desktop" and "Arcgis FOR desktop" and which one should I try first?

04-03-2018 08:07 PM
LauraAugustine
New Contributor II

I just purchased a home license and they put 2 download links in my account.  One is for "ArcGIS desktop" 10.6 and the other is for "ArcGIS FOR desktop" 10.4.  Which one should I use? Certainly not both?   Also, I already have "Pro" downloaded from a MOOC.  Can I just get a license code to plug into that or do I have to download it again?

The "order fulfillment" email said, "For installation or download support, contact Esri Customer Service" - but the people at that email address said they couldn't help me with my download and install questions and and told me to, "Email: support@esri.com".  

When I tried that second email address, I got a reply that they failed to process my email because, "You are receiving this email because you contacted an email address that has been retired (support@esri.com). "  

Is there anybody, anywhere, who can help me?  And, whichever version I am supposed to try, will it install cleanly over my expired 10.0?  Or should I uninstall that first?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Esri changed the name of products at 10.5, to make it more consistent. From 10.5 onwards, ArcGIS for Desktop is simply known as ArcGIS Desktop.

You don't need to download ArcGIS Pro again, if you already have it downloaded. Just provide the valid credentials during login. ArcGIS Pro licensing requires a Named User which you do get with the Personal Use program.  If you're having a difficult time authorizing Pro, there is Installation Support with the purchase too.

Start ArcGIS Pro with a Named User license—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

This is the official Esri Support site: Esri Support Home. At the top there is Contact Support, try that: https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support#us 

And, whichever version I am supposed to try, will it install cleanly over my expired 10.0?  Or should I uninstall that first?

Check this if you are installing ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.x\10.6: Existing ArcGIS Desktop users—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Check this if you are installing ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.x: Existing ArcGIS for Desktop users—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hope this helps in getting you started!

LauraAugustine
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for trying to help me!   I cannot start Pro because I get the error that my login is a public account. And the troubleshooting for a public account error message is that I need to connect my account to an "organization." And I cannot create an organization because the first step in creating an organization is to activate my subscription to arcgis online from an email. and I don't have an email because all I have is a personal use license and that email didn't come with a special arcgis online part. ANd I can't even "request a case" to start a ticket to ask for help in starting an arcgis online organization at the https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support#us link that you so kindly provided because - wait for it -  You do not have access to request a support case because this Esri Account is not connected to an organization in My Esri.   Awesome.  Again, though, I thank you for trying to help me.  Every night I come home and fight with arc for a couple of hours and I still can't even get things downloaded and activated.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Try calling directly on +1-888-377-4575 and explain the situation. They should be able to guide you further or connect you to the right people. The new email for support is supposedly Customercare@esri.com, so you can give that a try too.

I would suggest contacting Esri Customer Service again maybe, as you need access to the licenses and not really help with Downloads and install right now.

0 Kudos
LauraAugustine
New Contributor II

Thank you yet again.   That is what I had decided to do. I am printing this out and taking it with me to call from work today.