Custom heart-shaped mapframe

03-30-2018 02:47 PM
MatteoBergamini
New Contributor

I'm am trying to make a heart-shaped map frame for directions on my wedding invitations, and I am having trouble just drawing the shape I need, any advice?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A heart is nothing more than two circles inscribed on the sides of a square, rotated 90 degrees and flood filled.

You will see that you will actually want to embed/erase the two circles and rotated square from a larger rectangle to suit.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I would probably import a picture of a heart into the layout and use the Reshape Polygon tool to trace the heart:

Do not the copyright text that will be present in the heart. It might be easier to process this in Photoshop or similar software.

MeganMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

If you don't have Photoshop I've done it in iPiccy, which is free.

Export the map as an image and open ipiccy.com.

Go to designer, open up the image of the map for directions. This will be your background. click on background in the left menu, and tap add mask to ad da vector mask. There is a heart one or you can create/edit one as well.

Make sure the mask covers where you want the heart shape to cut out your map, and when its where you want click Done (you can click 'test mask' to check.

Voila!